Sunday 18 July 2021

The first Whitley Charters (2) - the texts

Following on from the previous.

Here is all I know of the text of the two main charters. I have made translations into English based on R.H. Beaumont's summary, which is entirely consistent with Dodsworth's summaries. (*1) 

The main charter (no. 3) (DD/WBD/IX/1)

Know present and future that I John de Laci earl of Lincoln and Constable of Chester grant & by this my present charter confirm to John Mouncebot and his heirs or to an assignee namely William de Bellomonte, if the same wishes to assign to him, and to his heirs, all the land that I have purchased [or which I had, which I obtained etc] from Thomas de Dranffeld in the vill of Witteley with the capital messuage and all liberties and easements in the vill or outside it and with all appurtenant services, rents, wardships, escheats and reliefs of freemen and rustics belonging to the said land …. to have and to hold to him and his heirs, or his assignee namely the aforesaid William de Bellomonte, from me and my heirs in perpetuity. Rendering therefor annually to me and my heirs two white gloves at Easter. And know that the said John and his heirs acquit me and my heirs versus the heirs of Peter de Birkethwate (*2) 10 shillings each year at the feast of Saint Martin, and versus William de Draneffeld and his heirs of a pound of cumin at the same season, and that the said John does the forinsec service as much as pertains to the said land to me and my heirs..... and I will warrant title to the said John Muntebot and his heirs and assigns and their heirs. In witness whereof my seal is hereby affixed…. Witnesses lord Adam de Neirford (*2), lord Robert de Stapilton, lord Richard Grammatico, lord William de Swillington (*2), lord Adam de Preston, John de Wridelsford (*4). Not dated but must be 1232 x 1240.

(*1  In the case of no.3 only also consistent with a summary understood to be based on information given to Sir William Dugdale in the 1660s, and the West Yorkshire Archives catalogue).

From Surtees Society Vol. xxxvi for 1859 (Dugdale's
Visitation of the County of York, 1665-1666, page 254

(*2 not Birpheit, Hairford, Sumlington as in the West Yorks Archive Catalogue. I have a number of other references to Adam of Narford between about 1220 and 1250, including one as the Earl's steward. Sometimes his name is mis-read as Hartford or similar)

The final charter (no. 4)

Know present and future that I John Mucenbote constitute William de Beumunt as my heir for my land of Witelei with all all appurtenances as the charter of the lord Earl testifies if I die without an heir of my body by a wife (*3). Witnesses John de Wridelesford (*4). R de Bestun (*5),  R de Lasie(?),  Alan de Wirkelei “and others”…. No date ….

I don't of course know if this William de Beaumont is the one who appears from the 1190s in the circle of Earl John de Lacy's father. It is quite possible, but he would be about 60 years old or more. 

(*3   si devixero sine herede de corpore meo de sponsa. Rendered by RHB as si devixero sine herede de corpores de Sponsa, and in G.W. Tomlinson's note (YAJ 8 502) as if he died without an heir of his body by his wife.  The unusual word "devixero" seems to connote a future end of life, and that is clearly what others have taken it to mean).

(*4 I have several references to John of Wridlesford from about 1230 to 1250).

(*5 There are several connections between people called Beston or Beeston with the early Beaumonts, including rather interestingly that a William de Beston's coat of arms appears in Galloways Roll next to that of William Beaumont, hinting that they were comrades-in-arms in the military operations in southern Scotland in 1300).

Source material for the above translations is

For both documents

- RHB's 1796 Family Tree (Box 1-157 in this Archive)

- Text[s] either written by Roger Dodsworth in August 1629 when he visited Whitley Hall then the home of Sir Richard Beaumont (the well known character we know as Black Dick), and/or at a different date when he visited the house of Richard Beaumont Esq (Castle Hall, Mirfield), or copied by Dodsworth or others from such notes.... (Bodleian Library Dodsworth MS 133 fo.114v and fo.122, and Dodsworth MS 155 fo.151v).  

And also for charter no. 3

- Surtees Society Vol. xxxvi for 1859 (Dugdale's Visitation of the County of York, 1665-1666), pp.253-254. It was on 2nd April 1666 at Halifax that certain aspects of the pedigree of Beaumont of Whitley were presented to William Dugdale, and since this charter is printed where it is, I have assumed that it was part of such information.

- the online catalogue of West Yorkshire Archives.

EMB 18 July 2021

No comments:

Post a Comment