Wednesday 1 August 2018

Why I wouldn't give anything to the National Trust any more

UPDATES! Please see notes at end.

Here's my photo of a portrait of Thomas Horton which I took with my own camera many years ago in the flat of the then owner of the picture, Miss Joan Barnes-Gorell, in Sloane Street, London.

Thomas Horton, c.1651-1699, of Barkisland
Unknown artist
Property now, of The National Trust
It isn't a very good photo of this picture of her ancestor (and mine) is it?

When Miss Barnes-Gorell died, she left this picture and two others to the National Trust, to go to Ormesby Hall.

Now, the National Trust allows the Artuk paintings website, run by the Public Catalogue Foundation, to state that this one was given to them by someone else.

Both the National Trust and Artuk give evasive responses when asked about correcting the error.

Should anything these charities say be believed, without checking?

People do make mistakes. That is no big deal. Just correct it!

1 August 2018

PS I've given stuff to the National Trust myself! I wonder if they agree.

UPDATE 2 August 2018
It has been corrected on Artuk already! Well done everyone, and thank you. EMB.

UPDATE 30 April 2020
I noticed recently that the West Yorkshire Archives (Reference WBM/141) have.....

Three photographs in an envelope marked: 'Photographs of my Family Portraits, J B G'. Notes on the back of each photograph separately read: 'Richard d.1706', 'Richard d.1723' and 'Thomas Horton' The portraits were rescued from Whitley Beaumont by Miss J Barnes-Gorrell, and have now been bequeathed to Ormesby Hall, owned by the National Trust. All three portraits had notes written on the back by R H Beaumont, died 1810.

So it is possible that these are prints of the photos I myself took in her flat in Sloane Street. It seems likely that her executor sent them to the Archives.



No comments:

Post a Comment