Sunday 11 March 2018

Charles Beaumont's will, proved in 1774


Still thinking about the Romney portrait mentioned in the note a few days ago, I got Charles Beaumont's will from the PRO.

The reference is PROB 11/1003/229. Its date [proved] 20 December 1774.

“This is the last Will and Testam[en]t of me Charles Beaumont late of the Inner Temple London Gentleman after payment of all my just debts and funeral expenses I give and bequeath all the personal estate whereof I shall die possessed to be equally [insertion: “divided”] between and among my Brothers Thomas and John and my Sister Elizabeth Beaumont the said legacies to be paid within twelve months [insertion: “next”] after my decease and I hereby will that my Body be interred in any place at the discretion of my Executor hereinafter mentioned (the County of York excepted) and I further will that it be buried in as private a manner as my my [sic] said Executor shall think fit and hereby

over page

revoking all former wills by me at any time heretofore made and I declare this to be my last Will and Testament and of the same do hereby appoint my said Brother John sole Executor In Witness whereof I have hereunto set my hand and seal this Sixth day of November in the year of our Lord one thousand seven hundred and seventy three Chas. Beaumont signed sealed published and declared by the said Testator as and for his last Will and Testament in the presence of us who in his presence at his desire and in the presence of each other have subscribed our Names as Witnesses hereto John Hull No.48 Fleet Street Hen: Freeman Hatton Garden

.................
Notes:
The next younger brother of "RHB," Charles was born in July 1750.

He is the figure depicted in the portrait on the right hand side of the large group portrait. He looks old for his years!

The will is entirely consistent with the Family Tree in that Charles died in July 1774 and was buried in the churchyard of St. Andrew's, Holborn.*

Fascinating that he should be happy to be buried anywhere - except in Yorkshire!

The books usually refer to Charles as being “of Staples Inn.” However he does not appear in the list of admissions to Staple Inn published c.1906 by E. Williams in “Staple Inn: Customs House, Wool Court, and Inn of Chancery” (Appdx E).

Nor did I find him in the online database of admissions to the Inner Temple.

* The additional statement of where Charles was buried is not in all versions of the family tree but is in the one written in RHB's own hand in 1796 (Box 1/154-166).


This note made 11 March 2018

No comments:

Post a Comment